A SWEET TREAT
I once received a delicious gift from a friend of mine. She took the time to bake an assortment of treats, package them in little boxes, and send them my way. One of the things in the box was candied pecans. I couldn’t eat just one. Actually, I couldn’t just eat what she gave me. I had to have more so I asked her for the recipe. I adapted the recipe by adding and deleting a few things as a personal preference from the site www.allrecipes.com.
The recipe takes about 5 minutes to prepare. You simple whisk an egg white, a bit of water and a bit of vanilla until a foam is made which should take approximately 3 minutes with an electric whisk. From there, toss is about 4 cups or 450 g of pecan halves until they are coated. This, along with the sugar is what gives it a crunch.
In a separate bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and a bit of salt. Toss this in with the egg white coated pecans .
Finally, spread them out on a greased tray. I used my coconut oil spray. Bake at 275º for 45 minutes. Stir the pecans every 15 minutes so all sides get toasted and also so they don’t stick too badly to the tray. Once they have cooled, you can put them in cute little bags and give them as gifts. . . if they make it 🙂
4 C pecan halves
1/2 C sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon ground
1 Tbsp water
1 tsp nutmeg ground
pinch of salt
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 egg white
1. With an electric whisk, whisk egg white, water and vanilla until it foams (approximately 3 minutes).
2. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
3. Toss the pecans in the egg white mixture until coated.
4. Stir in the sugar mixture until nuts are coated.
5. Lightly spray a cookie tray with coconut oil.
6. Spread the pecans evenly on the tray.
7. Bake for 45 minutes at 275º (stirring every 15 minutes).
Protein 5 g