I love taco night and this dish is one of my favourites. It is basically a taco in a bowl but what works best is that each part is seasoned and flavoured individually and when they come together. . . .BOOM!. . .bursts of flavours.
The best way to approach this salad meal is to prepare the sauces first. Fresh is best so making your own is ideal. The dressing will consist of pico de gallo, guacamole and sour cream. I use plain Greek yogurt instead. If you are short on time, these can all be purchased at the grocery store but if you can, try these recipes for pico de gallo and guacamole. It will make all the difference in the end.
The next step is to prepare the ground beef. Cook the beef on the stovetop. It will take about 10-15 minutes on medium heat until it is browned. Drain the liquid from the pan and then season the meat. For that “taco” taste, I buy the packaged taco seasoning mix.
Beyond that, it is all about the assembly. Chop some romaine lettuce and place it into a bowl. Top it with seasoned ground beef, pico de gallo, guacamole and yogurt. Serve some corn chips in the bowl or on the side. Garnish with chopped green onions or grated cheddar or both!
1 lb ground beef
1 Tbsp taco seasoning
8 romaine leaves
1 C pico de gallo
1 C guacamole
1/2 C Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
48 corn chips
2 sliced green onions
1. Prepare or purchase pico de gallo and guacamole.
2. Brown ground beef on medium heat for 10 minutes on stovetop.
3. Stir taco spice into cooked beef.
4. Split lettuce in 4 large bowls (2 leaves of romaine lettuce each).
5. Top each salad with 1/4 of the beef.
6. Top each salad with 1/4 of the pico de gallo, guacamole, and yogurt.
7. Line the bowls with about 12 corn chips. (You may serve more on the side)
8. Sprinkle green onions (and cheddar optional) on salads as garnish.